Progress Report - RG Wing Gundam Zero Custom (9/7/20)

Repair

Once again, I started the day with an attempt to repair the outer wings by removing the leftover paint.


Not much has changed since yesterday. There weren't even any paint gunks at the bottom of the windex bath. I think it's safe to assume that the windex isn't going to improve the situation any further.

So I decided give something else a quick try - the water floss!


I filled it up with water, dialed up the pressure to max, and started spraying...


While the water floss was strong enough to completely soak myself from the back splash, it didn't do anything for the paint.

I guess all that's left is to start painting.

Airbrushing

While contemplating whether I should start getting ready for my next project, I remembered that I still had this to paint.


Fortunately, I already had everything snapped and sanded down. All I needed to do was wash off the dust and hand grease to get it ready for paint.


The feathers in the expansion effect unit have a nice semi-transparent tint with an extra glossy surface. This made it very tempting to keep it as it is and just apply a clear top coat on it. Unfortunately, some of the pieces had a very visible swirl so I decided to just go ahead and paint them white.


I first started out by adding a tacky layer by very lightly misting on the surface.


By doing this before applying the wet layer, I can prevent the paint from pooling. Soon after the tacky layer was applied, I went on and applied the thicker wet layer.


The semi-opaque nature of white pigments (which usually causes me so much grief) created a surprisingly nice look. The painted pieces look mostly opaque with a hint of transparency, making it almost feel like a real feather.


Priming over the upper wing pieces that I've been trying to fix for the past several days did not go as nicely.


The photo above is after 6~7 very thick layers of white primer (letting it dry between layers). You can see that there are still some of the black paint visible through the layers of white primer. At this point, I knew applying anymore paint would start covering the details around the wing. It was time to say "good enough" and move on.

Today I Learned

  • Water floss on fully cured primer does nothing
  • Make sure to dry the pieces thoroughly before painting them
  • Painting over partially dry pieces create a slight water stained look

No comments:

Post a Comment